Department of Tourism and Culture

About the Department

Heritage Resources

Archaeology FAQ

What should I do if I find an arrowhead?

Artifacts should not be removed from archaeological or historic sites. If you have picked up an artifact in an exposed or precarious location (about to wash out of a riverbank, for example), it should be turned in to Heritage Resources together with a map or GPS coordinates and description of where you found the artefact. Objects found on First Nations Settlement Land should be turned over to the First Nation. Contact Yukon Archaeology (867) 667-5983 or on the Government of Yukon Toll-Free line: 1-800-661-0408. Archaeological artifacts belong to all Yukoners and are held by the Government of Yukon in the public trust.

I found what look like human bones when I was walking through the bush – what should I do?

Found human remains must be reported to the R.C.M.P. You may also report to the Yukon Heritage Resources or the First Nation in whose traditional territory the remains are found.